At a glance,
- Tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure designed to help those who have trouble shedding off excess fat in their abdominal.
- There are several factors that make it difficult for an individual to trim fat around the stomach area such as age, hereditary, and pregnancy. An abdominoplasty is an excellent way to fix these cosmetic problems safely and wholly.
- The cost of this procedure will depend on a variety of factors that we will also be discussing in this article.
- Abdominoplasty is not a be-all, end-all solution to weight gain. Keep in mind that in order for results to maintained, diet and a healthy lifestyle is imperative.
What is a Tummy Tuck Surgery?
A tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that is used to help sculpt the abdomens into a flatter and leaner appearance. It does so through surgery wherein the doctor will remove excess fat and skin around that area of the body. There is also a variation called a mini-tummy tuck or partial abdominoplasty. This surgical procedure is less invasive and will cause less scarring than the standard abdominoplasty procedure.
How Does a Tummy Tuck Work?
Tummy tucks are pretty standard cosmetic operations. During the procedure, the patient will be given general anesthesia. Once the patient has been completely put under, the surgery can begin. The doctor will start putting incision around the abdominal area, primarily on both sides of the hip bone, around the navel, and near the pubic area. The skin will then be separated so that the doctor can pull together abdominal muscles together, giving it a tighter look. A standard tummy tuck surgery can last anywhere between two to five hours.
Types of Tummy Tuck Procedures:
- Mini-Tummy Tuck – This is a less invasive variation of the tummy tuck. It incorporates techniques similar to a C-section procedure. The mini-tummy tuck is best used by patients who are still relatively in good shape but have packed on a few pounds under the bellybutton area.
- Full Tummy Tuck – The full tummy tuck has the highest percentage of delivering the best possible results. This will result in a firmer abdomen as the cosmetic surgeon will be removing any excess skin as well.
- Extended Tummy Tuck – Similar to the full tummy tuck, the extended variation also takes the sides of the abdomen into account. The surgeon will be taking off extra fat and skin out of the body’s “love handles” which can also improve the muscle’s condition around that part of the body.
- Reverse Tummy Tuck – As the name implies, the reverse tummy tuck is performed by removing excess fat and skin around the upper part of the abdomen rather than in the middle or below. Everything else is similar to the traditional abdominoplasty procedure.
- Laser Tummy Tuck – This is another less invasive tummy tuck procedure. This operation will utilize a thin laser fiber just underneath the skin. It will then be super-heated, which will effectively melt the fat on the surrounding area.
- Tummy Tuck with Liposuction – This incorporates two cosmetic surgeries. The liposuction procedure is best used on patients whose skins are still elastic enough to return to its tighter appearance after weight loss. If not, the tummy tuck will fix the remaining issues.
- Male Tummy Tuck – The tummy tuck is not exclusive to women as it can also be used on men who have problems with loose skin around the abdominal area. This procedure follows the same steps as your standard tummy tuck operation done on women.
Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me?
Tummy Tuck Candidate
The tummy tuck is a viable option for patients who are experiencing some level of skin sagging around their abdominal area. This procedure is not ideal for overly obese individuals but is perfect for those who are at a stable yet slightly overweight.
You can consider the following factors when determining whether you are the right candidate for a tummy tuck:
- You are finding it difficult to lose a few extra pounds, even when incorporating diet and exercise into your lifestyle.
- You are a non-smoker.
- The skins on your abdomens are loose or stretched.
- You can’t seem to remove excess fat on your lower abdomen.
Mini-Tummy Tuck Candidate
In terms of those who are viable for this procedure, it is crucial to consider a few aspects beforehand. As this is regarded as a “lite” version of the tummy tuck, it is a suitable procedure for those who have problems with slightly loose skin and stubborn excess fat below the belly. Consider mini-tummy tucks as a quick alternative to the full tummy tuck that is designed only to handle minor fat and loose skin issues.
Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks
The tummy tuck can be an excellent solution for your stretch mark problems around the abdominal area. It is a recommended procedure for those who want to remove traces of stretch marks on their lower abdomen. However, please note that this type of cosmetic procedure won’t be able to correct stretch marks outside the tummy area.
Tummy Tuck for Muscle Repair
The tummy tuck is also not just your conventional cosmetic surgery; it can also be used to help repair muscles. This procedure is starting to gain traction with mothers who just underwent childbirth. The tummy tuck is an excellent procedure to help ensure that the abdomen will return to its natural leaner appearance after giving birth.
How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?
The cost of this procedure will vary depending on the actual process, location, and doctor. It is best to inquire about the tummy tucks with your local cosmetic dermatology and surgery clinic to get a more accurate number. We will be including the average tummy tuck price below to give you an idea of what to expect:
- Average Cost of the Tummy Tuck – The standard fee for a tummy tuck can range above $5,000. The average cost of tummy tuck is $5,500. This will depend on several factors that the doctor will inform you after the evaluation.
- Average Cost of Mini-Tummy Tuck – A mini tummy tuck costs around $4000 to $5000. This procedure will be less invasive and is significantly faster to complete. Expect it to be a lot cheaper.
- Average Cost of Extended Tummy Tuck – The cost ranges from $11,000 to $12,000. This operation will cover the entirety of the stomach area as well as incorporate additional procedures.
- Average Cost of Reverse Tummy Tuck – Price for the reverse tummy tuck varies from patient to patient, but expect it to fall in between $5,000 to $10,000.
- Average Cost of Laser Tummy Tuck – Laser tummy tuck is cheaper and faster but does require multiple sessions to complete. The treatment cost is $1,700 per session, you may need up to 6 treatment sessions. A complete set of sessions is still more affordable than a traditional tummy tuck procedure.
- Average Cost of Tummy Tuck with Liposuction – This is the most comprehensive procedure in this list. As such, expect the price to be higher than the procedures listed above. The cost is between $11,000 and $12,000.
- Average Cost of Male Tummy Tuck – The procedure is virtually similar for men with a price range within the same ballpark as well which is between $5,000 to $12,000 depending on several factors.
Tummy Tuck Price List (2019):
How to Get a Free Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Other than getting it from a special promo at your clinic, there is no other way to get a free tummy tuck operation outside being covered by your insurance. Even that process needs to fall under the insurance policy. For example, a tummy tuck can be covered by your insurance if it falls under specific medical surgeries such as breast reconstruction.
Is a Tummy Tuck Worth It?
For those who have considerable difficulty losing that extra layer of fat around their waist and stomach, a tummy tuck can be a good alternative if you can afford it. Of course, you will need to make changes with your diet and lifestyle if you wish to retain its results.
Tummy Tuck Pros and Cons
While this cosmetic procedure is relatively safe, there are factors that you need to be aware of before deciding to undergo this type of operation.
- This procedure can easily trim the waist to the desired size of the patient.
- It is a relatively safe cosmetic procedure and can be included in conjunction with other medical procedures.
- Tummy tucks can significantly reduce or remove any signs of stretch marks.
- A tummy tuck can be used alongside liposuction procedures.
- This procedure can result in a firmer body without worrying about loose excess skin.
- This procedure can also be used to remove any unwanted marks and blemishes around the stomach area.
- The procedure has a slim chance of causing infections.
- It can leave a permanent scar.
- Gaining weight again may cause adverse side effects on the operated area.
- Undergoing abdominoplasty alongside other surgical procedures does increase the risk of complications.
- You will be required to follow a strict diet regimen to assist you in adjusting and maintaining positive results.
- Pregnancy can have ill-effects on the results of the procedure. Make sure you don’t plan on having any more children before considering a tummy tuck.
Tummy Tuck Results
So, you plan on proceeding with the operation soon? Here are the things you will expect afterwards.
When Will I See Results from the Tummy Tuck?
You can expect results to appear immediately after the operation. However, the healing process will take several weeks, and you can expect to experience some swelling over the area for a week or so. Follow the doctor’s advice throughout the healing phase of the procedure, and you can expect to be healthy enough to be ready for desk jobs in a matter of two weeks.
How Long Will My Tummy Tuck Result Last?
Tummy tuck results are designed to be permanent as the operation comprise the removal of skin and fat cells. It will be up to the patient to maintain the results through a healthy lifestyle, diet, and regular exercise. It is essential for the patient to maintain the results of a tummy tuck procedure as gaining weight might again cause some issues around the stomach area.
Weight Gain/Loss After Tummy Tuck
Anything above 20 pounds of weight gain after undergoing a tummy tuck procedure will cause visible side effects. As the abdominoplasty procedure requires the removal of fat cells and skin, gaining weight will cause some disruptions on where fat is stored. Stored fat will not end up around your tummy, but will find itself going to other parts of the body such as the thighs, lower abdomen, and the buttocks. This can leave your body with an asymmetrical appearance.
Losing weight after undergoing a tummy tuck procedure is a much better alternative, but moderation is still an essential factor to remember. Losing more than 20 pounds of weight after a tummy tuck can leave your stomach with slightly loose excess skin. To prevent this from happening, it is highly advisable to limit your weight loss goal around 10 to 15 pounds only.
Tummy Tuck Before and After Picture
- Tummy Tuck Before and After
- Mini-Tummy Tuck Before and After
- Plus Size Tummy Tuck (for women)
- Belly Button After Tummy Tuck
- Extended Tummy Tuck Before and After
What are the Risks or Potential Side Effects of a Tummy Tuck?
While this type of cosmetic surgery is relatively safe as long as a licensed and skilled surgeon performs it, side effects and risks are concerns that need to be discussed. Common risk and side effects attributed to tummy tuck are also common in most medical surgeries.
Below are the risks and potential side effects that you might encounter after the procedure.
- Scarring is an almost expected side effect of having a tummy tuck procedure.
- Asymmetry when you experience weight gain after the operation.
- Loose and slightly dangling skin.
- Numbness of the skin around the operated area.
- Deep vein thrombosis – This condition develops when blood clots accumulate within the veins. It can cause pain and discoloration on the affected area.
- Disappointing results.
- Fat tissue necrosis – This is caused when fat tissues die within the body. While harmless, it can cause some pain and soreness.
- Fluid accumulation around the operated area.
- Infections during the healing phase.
Do not let this list scare you, though; it does not change the fact that tummy tuck is a safe procedure as long as you follow all necessary precautions before, during, and after the operation. Comparing liposuction VS tummy tuck is quite common, but rest assured that both can deliver the results you want in a safe and effective manner.
Possible Tummy Tuck Complications
As this is an invasive type of cosmetic surgery, certain complications can arise. While rare, the risks are present. Some of the difficulties that can develop after undergoing a tummy tuck can include the following:
- Common infections due to improper cleaning of the wound during the healing phase.
- Bleeding underneath skin flaps can also be an issue as it can cause blood clots to accumulate.
Remember that such complications after a surgical operation will increase if you already have a pre-existing medical condition such as diabetes. This is why we always advise that you undergo all the necessary tests to determine if you are the right candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.
Tummy Tuck Swelling and Pain
Swelling is a pretty standard after effect of undergoing this type of surgery. The area will be quite sore and tender for a couple of days and might cause some discomfort as your body is adapting to the sudden change.
How Long Does Swelling Last After a Tummy Tuck?
Swelling, bruising, and some level of pain will steadily dissipate and be gone entirely in 6 to 8 weeks with proper healing.
How Painful is a Tummy Tuck?
As the patient will be put under using general anesthetics, the procedure itself is entirely painless. However, post-operation is where the patient will start experiencing mild to moderate levels of pain. This will last for several weeks, but you can expect the pain to begin dissipating within the two-week mark. Rarely does a tummy tuck operation leave any long-lasting soreness for more than several months to over a year. If it does, it is advisable that you consult with your doctor.
Possible Complications During Pregnancy
For the most part, getting pregnant after having a tummy tuck should be quite safe. Of course, it is best to consult with your gynecologist as pregnancy itself is susceptible to complications. Even after a tummy tuck, the abdominal wall will still be able to stretch to accommodate the baby inside. Put, getting pregnant after getting an abdominoplasty should not be a cause for concern.
Tummy Tuck Recovery Time
Again, this will depend on the extent of the operation done. Standard tummy tuck procedures will require a recovery period of a month before the patient can adequately perform regular daily tasks.
Mini-Tummy Tuck Recovery Time
As mini-tummy tuck procedures are less invasive, it is expected to have a shorter recovery time. Most mini-tummy tucks will be mostly healed in two weeks. Complete recovery will take less than a month with proper care.
Exercise After Tummy Tuck
Doctors will usually clear you to continue with your regular daily exercise routine six weeks of recovery time after the procedure. During the six-week recovery period, it is recommended that you limit your physical exercise to walking to promote healthy blood flow and speed up your body’s recovery.
Afterwards, there will be recommended exercises that you should incorporate into your workout routine to maintain the tummy tuck results such as:
- Crunch – This exercise is your typical sit-ups that work the mid portion of the body.
- V Crunch – A more advanced and difficult version of the crunch. V crunch requires you to touch your toes while lying down, having you form a V shape, hence the name.
- Leg Lifts – This exercise is quite simple. You lie down and simply raise your legs straight upwards at a steady pace.
- Abdominal Exercises – This is a series of exercises design to tone your abdominal area.
Can Women Still Get Pregnant After a Tummy Tuck?
Of course, women can still get pregnant after getting a tummy tuck. The abdominal wall will always be able to accommodate a growing baby, and there are no known pregnancy complications caused directly by a tummy tuck procedure made prior.
Tummy Tuck Reviews
A quick search online will get you a lot of positive testimonials from clients who underwent a tummy tuck procedure. For those who have trouble trimming their stomach and waist down to their desired shape, a tummy tuck procedure is undoubtedly one of the most highly recommended cosmetic surgery available.
Any downsides given to this type of operation revolves around how painful the recovery process can be. That being said, as long as you follow the doctor’s instruction to the letter, you won’t have much issue going forward. Plus, one aspect that all reviews share is their total satisfaction with the results.
Tummy Tuck Payment Plan
Different clinics will propose different payment plans. I suggest you inquire about the fees directly from your licensed cosmetic clinic of choice to get a detailed payment plan.
Does Insurance Cover Tummy Tuck?
Unfortunately, cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance, which is what abdominoplasty is. However, if the patient has a pre-existing condition wherein an abdominoplasty is a necessary part of the corrective surgery they will undergo, then a percentage of it can be covered by insurance.
How to Get Insurance to Pay for Tummy Tuck?
While generally not covered, there is a way for you to request your insurance company to cover a tummy tuck procedure. Request for your doctor to prescribe your insurance company with a letter that dictates the health problems that can arise from your weight gain problem around the abdominal area. Your insurance company might have some cosmetic surgery clinics in their list that they are willing to give insurance coverage. Other than this method, there truly is no other way to have your insurance covers an abdominoplasty.
How to Choose a Tummy Tuck Surgeon Near Me?
While relatively safe, a tummy tuck is a procedure that requires a skilled professional to perform safely and adequately. Always check for both the credentials and license of the cosmetic clinic before choosing. Safety is of the utmost importance here, so make sure you only contact cosmetic surgeons that are well-known and highly recommended in this field by previous clients.
Tummy Tuck Alternatives
Fortunately, there are other alternative routes you can take if you are having second thoughts about going under the knife or if abdominoplasty is too expensive for you.
- Vaser Liposuction – As the name implies, a VASER Lipo follows a similar route to the traditional liposuction procedure. The main difference here is that vaser liposuction uses high-frequency vibrations to break down fat cells, which is then emulsified to be taken out of the body easier. This considered a more painless alternative to liposuction.
- Smartlipo – Smartlipo utilizes laser technology, which is why this procedure is also known as laser liposuction. A skinny tube with laser fibers will be inserted into the target area. The laser fibers will then be heated to melt surrounding fat cells, which will be removed from the body using liposuction. Smartlipo cost is also within the same range as a tummy tuck.
- Sono Bello – Sono Bello is one of the newer procedures and is quite similar to the laser liposuction. It is also known to be one of the most least-invasive fat reduction procedures and is relatively painless.
- CoolSculpting – This procedure is a non-invasive fat reduction alternative which uses Cryolipolysis.
- Mesotherapy – For those with a low threshold to pain. This method utilizes a combination of medications, amino acids, and holistic compounds that will be injected into the body, which will promote weight loss and eliminate excess fat cells.
- Thermage – This fat reduction procedure uses non-invasive methods. This procedure will use a heated wave of lasers over the target, which will melt fat cells in that area.
Tummy Tuck Slimming System: Tummy Tuck Belts
For those looking for a more affordable alternative that does not require any professional assistance, then there is this product called the Tummy Tuck Belt. This product is comprised of a compression belt and thermal accelerator cream.
This fat reduction system is pretty simple and basic with its use. You apply the thermal accelerator cream, wear the compression belt, and perform the 10-minute standing abdominal contraction exercise.
Does the Tummy Tuck Belt Really Work?
All in all, this fat loss product should provide you with positive results if incorporated into a healthy diet and daily exercise. It should speed up fat loss when used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle plan. On its own, it may take longer for results to be visible.
Tummy Tuck Belt for Men & Women.
The tummy tuck belt system is designed for both men and women. Follow the size chart below to find your perfect fit.
Tummy Tuck Belt Side Effects
The only risk of side effect here is with the thermal accelerator cream. Check the compounds used in the cream to ensure that it does not contain any substance that might cause an allergic reaction. Other than that, this is a pretty straightforward body slimming system which is entirely safe to use.
Tummy Tuck Belt Reviews
Overall, the reviews of the Tummy Tuck Belt are generally mixed to positive. My advice here is for interested customers to incorporate this product into their fat loss regimen. By utilizing the tummy tuck belt system alongside proper diet and exercise, it can lead to faster fat loss results. If you are interested in the tummy tuck belt, you can check it out and purchase it right here.
I recommend you check out the benefits of combining this fat loss product into your daily workout routine. You can check the product out from their official website.
The Bottom Line
The tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgery that offers an effective solution to eliminate body fat and sculpt the tummy to have a leaner and flatter appearance. It is a relatively safe procedure but is also known to be quite an expensive operation. Hopefully, this article has given you all the necessary information you need to know in regards to the tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure.