At a glance:
- Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction, or UAL, is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure designed to eliminate persistent excess fat deposits in the body.
- UAL cost is slightly more affordable compared to traditional liposuction procedures, but prices may still vary for each clinic/doctor.
- The recovery period of individuals who underwent UAL is quite short compared to tumescent liposuction as it does not require any intrusive methods.
- Opinion about UAL, in both patients and doctors, is generally positive.
For those who are having difficulty trimming the fat from specific areas of the body, one of the more popular and relatively safe cosmetic body contouring procedures you can take is the liposuction. If you prefer something even less invasive, then the ultrasonic liposuction might be the perfect option for you to consider. Those who use ultrasound liposuction will also benefit from a completely painless cosmetic procedure as well as an expeditious recovery period.
But how effective is it? How much will ultrasonic liposuction cost? We will be answering these questions as well as other significant facts about this particular cosmetic surgery down below.
It is best to first gather all the proper information before deciding on taking advantage of such procedures to ensure you can avoid and prevent risks and side effects that might occur during and after the operation.
What is Ultrasonic Liposuction?
Ultrasonic Liposuction, also known as ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL), is a cosmetic surgery designed to reduce body fat by liquefying fat cells with the use of both ultrasound and ultrasonic waves. Once both the ultrasound and ultrasonic waves have done their part, the liquefied fat cells will be considerably easier to remove from the body.
Please note that there is a significant difference between UAL and Vaser Lipo. While both utilize ultrasonic waves to break down fat cells, Vaser Lipo will physically need to extract melted fat cells using a cannula.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Treatments
A non-invasive alternative to the traditional liposuction is the non-surgical ultrasonic liposuction. As the name implies, this cosmetic procedure utilizes ultrasonic waves to get rid of fat cells by transforming it into free fatty acids, which are far more comfortable for the body to flush out.
This procedure can be used to get rid of extra layers of fat not only in the midsection of the body, but also on the arms, thighs, hips, and chin. As the fat cells break down and turn into free fatty cells, the body will be able to remove them via the urinary tract system.
How Much Does Ultrasonic Liposuction Cost?
Before we go into the average liposuction cost and breakdown of this procedure, note that since liposuction is considered as a cosmetic operation, it is unlikely to be covered by your medical insurance. Now that we have that little factoid out of the way, a step you can consider to ease the payment process is inquiring about a payment plan with the clinic or doctor.
Ultrasonic liposuction prices will usually average around $3,200. Other factors might affect the price, such as which part of the body will be treated, and if the patient will require hospitalization during and after the said procedure.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Prices for Per Area:
- Neck – An affordable and quick procedure that can be done to help trim the neck down to a slenderer appearance. UAL on this area is considered a mid-range cosmetic procedure.
- Chin – For people who are having a difficult time getting rid of their ‘double chin’. This procedure will also help tone the jawline at a relatively affordable cost.
- Abdomen – The most common procedure done on the majority of patients. Expect for the cost to be slightly lower than traditional abdominal liposuction.
- Back – There are instances wherein excess fatty deposits find their way on the back of the body, giving it an awkward shape. Having ultrasonic liposuction here is also considered among the lower-end of the spectrum in terms of price.
- Love Handles – Just as common as abdomen ultrasonic liposuction. Prices for this procedure may vary but expect it to cost around and over a thousand bucks.
- Breasts – This procedure is designed for eliminating gynecomastia, which is a condition of excess breast tissue in men. This procedure usually takes several sessions to complete and is around the mid-range bracket in terms of price.
- Buttocks – Turning the buttocks into a shapelier form is possible at a more affordable price when using ultrasonic liposuction.
- Knees – Excess fat found in the knees can negatively affect mobility. Prices will vary but expect it to be one of the more expensive UAL procedures available.
- Feet – Similar to knees, extra fat deposits on the feet can cause mobility and balance issues. This procedure is usually slightly more expensive than UAL on the knees.
- Ankles – There are instances when fat typically congregate on the ankle area only. This condition could leave patients with an abnormal gait. Having UAL done in this area will help solve this issue, but it is one of the more expensive procedures in this category.
- Upper Extremities (Arms) – Arm obesity is another common reason for getting UAL. Patients who have flabby arms will benefit significantly from a UAL procedure. UAL on the upper extremities is relatively affordable.
- Lower Extremities (Legs) – Cellulitis can leave the legs looking haggard. A UAL in this area is usually around the mid-range cost.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Price List:
Ultrasonic Liposuction cost will differ depending on which clinic you will be using. On average, you can expect the cost to fall around $250 to $350 per session. Overall, this liposuction alternative will be slightly less expensive than the traditional liposuction procedure.
Note that prices will vary depending on the clinic and doctor as well as the number of sessions the patient will require. To be sure, inquire about all potential fees that this procedure will cover directly from the cosmetic clinic.
Does Ultrasonic Liposuction Work?
Overall, the majority of patients have experienced positive results when using UAL. A general misconception about UAL is that it is a weight loss procedure when it is, in fact, a fat loss procedure only. If you go in with this understanding, you will have a grasp of what to expect.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Results:
Ultrasonic liposuction uses minimally invasive procedures and will typically take around less than an hour to complete per session. After each session, patients can expect to be able to go home and return to their regular daily routine with no issues whatsoever.
In some cases, the doctor might recommend that patients keep physical activities on or under moderate exercises for the next couple of days. Clients can expect results to be visible a couple of weeks after the entirety of the procedure has been completed.
Results may vary with some cases seeing little difference, but this is normal as ultrasound liposuction requires multiple sessions to achieve significant results. Patients are also advised to do their part and develop a healthier lifestyle by incorporating diet and exercise into their daily routine. This will help optimize the results.
Ultrasound Liposuction Effects:
UAL comes with several beneficial effects for those who decide to take advantage of this technology. The effects one can expect include the following:
Faster Recovery Period
As this type of cosmetic procedure does away with traditional inconveniences linked to conventional liposuction, patients can expect a far quicker recovery period. Patients can continue going along with their daily routine as long as it is not too physically taxing.
Using high-frequency ultrasound waves will breakdown fat cells without the need for any invasive procedure. The broken-down fat cell membrane can then be easily absorbed into the lymphatic system, which will carry it over directly to the liver to be flushed out of the body.
Relatively Quick Results
The effects of this cosmetic procedure should be quite visible by the 4th to 6th session. You will also be given a strict diet regimen that you should follow to boost the overall effect of this procedure. Most doctors will recommend a low-carb diet and avoid alcohol during the first four days after each session.
As stated earlier, the effects of ultrasound liposuction will differ for each person. You can usually expect around a reduction of up to 2cm off if of the treated area per session. Keep in mind that ultrasound liposuction is not designed to reduce weight per se, but a non-invasive way to remove persistent excess fat from certain parts of the body.
Is Ultrasonic Liposuction Safe?
Overall, undergoing ultrasonic liposuction to remove excess fat deposits in the body is considered quite safe. This method incorporates non-intrusive techniques and is also considered a painless alternative to tumescent liposuction.
As it uses high-frequency ultrasonic waves to break down fat cells, patients are not exposed to any radiation, which further reduces the risks. The ultrasonic wave frequency used is also not strong enough to affect internal organs; it is perfectly safe and targets fat cells specifically.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Side Effects:
Of course, even if a procedure is considered safe by experts, in general, it does not exempt it from potential side effects. Certain members of the population may react differently to certain medications or medical procedures. Ultrasonic liposuction is no different.
While not considered as severe side effects, some recorded cases of side effects due to undergoing ultrasonic liposuctions include the following:
- Skin irritation on the treated area such as redness.
- Mild soreness may also develop around the area. It may feel tender to the touch for the next 24 hours or so.
- Nausea may also be experienced by the patient due to sudden dehydration after the procedure.
- Increased thirst will most likely be experienced by the patient during the first couple of hours. It is important to stay rehydrated after a UAL session.
Fortunately, all side effects noted here will dispel reasonably quickly.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Risks:
Before even considering using ultrasound liposuction to remove extra fat deposits on the body, it is best to consult with your doctor thoroughly. Again, the keyword here is ‘relatively safe’ so make sure you cover all safety precautions to get complete assurance that you are a candidate for this type of cosmetic procedure.
For some, there are potential risks to using ultrasound in eliminating fat deposits from the body. Below are some of the dangers that can develop for specific individuals who are not compatible with this using the ultrasound liposuction technique.
- Blood Clots – This is considered the most common risk in using ultrasound liposuction. The risk of blood clots forming is significantly increased if the patient undergoes internal ultrasound-assisted liposuction as the heat generated can affect the blood vessels in the body. The heat can affect the blood’s vicious qualities, which might cause blood clotting.
- Seromas – Another risk in using ultrasound liposuction is seromas. In the cases where internal UAL is used, it is vital to for the heat to be within safe levels. Any higher and it can cause damages to the nearby blood vessel and tissue. This is one of the reasons why you should always go to certified professionals.
- Peripheral Nerve Damage – While rare, peripheral nerve damage is a risk that should be accounted for when undergoing internal UAL procedures. This can lead to other health risks such as numbness along the lower and upper extremities, as well as the neck and face.
- Tissue Damage – As internal UAL uses a cannula, the risk of tissue damage around the treated area is likely. For the most part, tissue damage is exceptionally mild and will heal in a day or two. However, it is best to discuss this with the doctor to ensure that the patient does not have any prior skin conditions or a weak immune system, which can lead to problems down the line.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Recovery
Compared to tumescent liposuction, the recovery period for ultrasonic liposuction procedures are extremely fast and brief. This is considered as an outpatient procedure, which means patients can head home right after each session without any issues. For internal UAL, a couple of days of rest is recommended.
It is crucial to maintain healthy blood flow in the body, so the doctor will most likely recommend you to perform moderate exercises like walking during the next couple of days after the procedure. This will also reduce the risk of developing blood clots. There are cases where patients develop a mild level of swelling over the treated area; during these instances, the doctor might suggest the use of compression garments.
So, to summarize, ultrasonic liposuction recovery period covers around a couple of days, maybe a week max. If side effects do arise, it will only take less than a month for these to completely subside. As long as you follow the doctor’s post-operation instructions, you can expect no side effects and a quick return to your regular daily routine.
Ultrasonic Liposuction Reviews
In general, ultrasonic liposuction is a pretty good investment for those who are having trouble removing a few excess fat deposits on particular areas of their body. While it won’t be able to deliver the same level of results as tumescent liposuction, it does enough for those who are just looking for a quick solution for a mild yet pesky fat problem.
Most complaints revolving around this cosmetic procedure is how little the results it can deliver are. That being said, this is not a weight-loss procedure and should not be considered as such. The idea for ultrasonic liposuction is to trim unappealing extra fat deposits on the body. If you combine this procedure with a healthy diet and daily exercise, then you can effectively maximize the results.
Alternatives to Ultrasonic Liposuction
For those who are not a fit candidate for ultrasonic-assisted liposuction, don’t fret as there are alternatives available that also offer zero to minimal intrusive methods in eliminating fat deposits on the body. You can always consult your doctor at your preferred cosmetic clinic for a list of viable alternatives to UAL.
For example, here are some of the best UAL alternatives that you can take advantage of:
- CoolSculpting (also known as Cryolipolysis) – CoolSculpting is a cosmetic procedure that also features non-invasive techniques to eliminate fat cells. As the name implies, this technique uses cooling down the target body area down to freezing temperature to break down fat cells. Similar to ultrasonic liposuction, this is an outpatient procedure and clients can go home after the session.
- Laser Liposuction Therapy (Smartlipo) – Also known as Smartlipo, the use of laser therapy in removing excess fat deposits is a minimally intrusive alternative to ultrasound liposuction that also provides a more significantly visible result as well. The technique will incorporate a super think cannula with a single laser fiber attached to it. This laser fiber will then heat the surrounding fatty deposits which will melt it away, making removal far more manageable. Some clinics, such as Sono Bello, are known for their laser lipo services.
The Bottom Line
Ultrasonic liposuction is an excellent choice for individuals who are having trouble eliminating fat deposits on a specific part of their body. While it is not ideal for removing a significant amount of body fat, it is a safe and quick healing alternative to the traditional liposuction procedure.
The Cost will differ depending on which clinic you choose to conduct this procedure. A conservative guess would be around $2,000 and above if you will be having UAL on larger areas of the body such as the abdomen.
Unlike the tumescent liposuction, UAL will not require any invasive methods to remove fat cells. If you are worried about surgery and prolonged recovery period, the UAL will help keep your mind at ease as it barely takes any significant time to heal. In fact, you can pretty much continue going to work or school the next day unless advised otherwise by your doctor.